As of September 2014, SuperDataResearh reported the US market to have spent $873 million on digital games and this is just in the United States alone. Imagine how big the market is in each country – from War of Warcraft users to Clash of Clans or even just any kiddie flash games.
So, if you are a publisher currently running a games site – may it be flash games, game cheats or gamer forums, here are a few guidelines and tips to consider to make the most of your daily traffic:
1) Consider Google guidelines on ad implementation
- Ensure that the ads are in a reasonable distance from the download link to avoid users to accidentally click on the ad.
- If you have a flash game, Adsense recommends 150 pixels in distance between the edge of a game and the ad.
- Cross-check if games have sexual or violent content, and stay away from profane and explicit language descriptions.
- Placing ads on games that you do not have permission to distribute or monetize is also prohibited
- Never, ever use AdSense for Content or AdX tags as pre-roll or mid-roll of any flash games as there is AdSense for Games.
- Comment moderation should be in place to avoid trash talking between players if you are hosting the games.
- To get the whole list of guidelines, check out https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1706015
2) Think of ad range and variety
I am talking about ads in different models – CPM and CPI. SuperData estimates an average of $2.73 for mobile games. But remember that 1 out of 10 or 20 will probably be interested. Thus, it is important to have both. Below is one suggestion on how to make the most of above-the-folds which can really sell well.
3) Pair up with premium ad networks that perform well on game sites.
- Check out our previous post on the Top 5 Ad Networks for the Gaming Vertical.
- Add in Kixer to get their ads in CPI basis:
MonetizeMore helps publishers from various verticals, such as gaming perform well in site monetization. Sign up for 3a Starter account at MonetizeMore today if you want to know more options in adding new revenue streams for your game site.