As of September 2014, SuperDataResearh reported the US market to have spent $873 million on digital games and this is just in the United States alone. Imagine how big the market is in each country – from War of Warcraft users to Clash of Clans or even just any kiddie flash games.
So, if you are a publisher currently running a games site – may it be flash games, game cheats or gamer forums, here are a few guidelines and tips to consider to make the most of your daily traffic:
1) Consider Google guidelines on ad implementation
- Ensure that the ads are in a reasonable distance from the download link to avoid users to accidentally click on the ad.
- If you have a flash game, Adsense recommends 150 pixels in distance between the edge of a game and the ad.
- Cross-check if games have sexual or violent content, and stay away from profane and explicit language descriptions.
- Placing ads on games that you do not have permission to distribute or monetize is also prohibited
- Never, ever use AdSense for Content or AdX tags as pre-roll or mid-roll of any flash games as there is AdSense for Games.
- Comment moderation should be in place to avoid trash talking between players if you are hosting the games.
- To get the whole list of guidelines, check out https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1706015
2) Think of ad range and variety
I am talking about ads in different models – CPM and CPI. SuperData estimates an average of $2.73 for mobile games. But remember that 1 out of 10 or 20 will probably be interested. Thus, it is important to have both. Below is one suggestion on how to make the most of above-the-folds which can really sell well.
3) Pair up with premium ad networks that perform well on game sites.
- Check out our previous post on the Top 5 Ad Networks for the Gaming Vertical.
- Add in Kixer to get their ads in CPI basis:
MonetizeMore helps publishers from various verticals, such as gaming perform well in site monetization. Contact us today for a free consultation if you want to know more options in adding new revenue streams for your game site.