Blank ads can be frustrating and confusing for publishers, but they can also have a significant impact on ad revenue. When an ad fails to display properly, it can result in lost impressions, clicks, and conversions. In this post, we’ll explain blank ads and why they matter to publishers. We’ll also cover common causes of blank ads, how to diagnose the problem, and steps you can take to fix it.
Whether you’re a new or experienced publisher, this post will provide valuable insights into how to deal with blank ads and keep your ad revenue on track.
Blank Ads: Types
Blank ads come in different forms and can appear differently on a publisher’s website. Some common types of blank ads include:
- Completely Blank Ads: These ads are empty and show no content at all. They might appear blank spaces on the page where the ad should be displayed.
- Error Message Ads: These ads display an error message instead of the actual ad content. The error message could be ‘Ad not found‘ or ‘Ad server unavailable.’
- Partially Loaded Ads: These ads appear to be loading but never fully loading, resulting in incomplete or missing content. This can be frustrating for users and can impact ad performance.
- Flashing or Flickering Ads: These ads can distract or even harm users with certain medical conditions. They might flash rapidly or flicker, causing discomfort or seizures.
Understanding the different types of blank ads that can appear on your site is an important step in diagnosing and fixing the problem. Depending on the type of blank ad you encounter, the solution may differ. We’ll cover some common causes of blank ads next.
Blank Ads: Common Causes
Blank ads can be caused by various factors, some of which are more common than others. Here are some of the most common causes of blank ads:
- Ad Blockers: Ad blockers can prevent ads from displaying on a publisher’s website, resulting in blank ad spaces. This can be frustrating for publishers, but it’s also a concern for advertisers who want their ads to be seen by their target audience.
- Slow Internet Connections: If a user’s internet connection is slow or unreliable, ads may fail to load properly. This can result in blank ad spaces or partially loaded ads.
- Incorrect Ad Tags or Settings: If a publisher’s website’s ad tags or settings are incorrect or outdated, this can result in blank ads. Publishers should ensure they have the correct ad tags and settings for each ad placement.
- Ad Server Issues: Ad server issues can also cause blank ads to appear. This can happen if the ad server is experiencing technical difficulties or if there is a problem with the connection between the ad server and the publisher’s website.
- Malware or Viruses: Malware or viruses on a user’s computer can interfere with ad loading and cause blank ad spaces to appear.
Understanding the common causes of blank ads is essential for diagnosing and resolving the issue. By identifying the problem’s cause, publishers can ensure that their ads are displayed properly and that their ad revenue is not impacted.
Phase 1: Diagnose the Blank Ads Issue
If you’re experiencing blank ads on your website, there are a few steps you can take to diagnose the problem. Here are some tips:
- Check for Ad Blockers: The first step in diagnosing the problem is to check for ad blockers. Ask your users if they have any ad blockers enabled, and try disabling your own ad blocker to see if that resolves the issue.
- Review Ad Tags and Settings: Ensure your ad tags and settings are correct and up-to-date. Check to see if any errors or inconsistencies in your ad code could be causing the problem.
- Test the Site on Different Devices and Browsers: Try accessing your site on different devices and browsers to see if the problem is isolated to a particular platform. This can help you identify whether the issue is related to the site itself or the user’s device or browser.
- Check Ad Server Status: If you’re using an ad server, check for any known issues or outages that could be impacting ad delivery.
- Analyze Site Metrics: Analyze your site metrics to see if there are any patterns or trends that could be related to the issue. For example, if you notice that the problem is more prevalent during peak traffic hours, this could indicate a server or bandwidth issue.
By following these steps, you can narrow down the possible causes of the blank ads and begin to work towards a solution. If you’re still having trouble diagnosing the problem, consider reaching out to us here.
How to fix Blank Ads?
Once you’ve diagnosed the problem and identified the cause of the blank ads, there are several steps you can take to fix the issue. Here are some tips:
- Adjust Ad Settings: If the problem is related to ad tags or settings, make adjustments to ensure the correct settings are in place. This could include updating ad code, adjusting ad placements, or ensuring the correct ad formats are used.
- Troubleshoot Ad Server Issues: If the issue is related to ad server problems, work with your ad server provider to identify and resolve the issue. This may involve checking server logs, updating software or hardware, or troubleshooting network connectivity issues.
- Work with Ad Partners: If the problem is related to a specific ad partner or network, reach out to them for support. They may be able to identify and resolve the issue on their end or provide guidance on adjusting your ad set up to prevent the issue from recurring.
- Test and Monitor: Once you’ve made changes to your ad setup, test your site thoroughly to ensure the problem has been resolved. Monitor your site metrics to ensure that ad revenue is generated as expected and that users are not experiencing issues.
Make sure your ad units always display ads and avoid losing money by partnering with MonetizeMore today! Sign up for a Premium account at MonetizeMore today!
How do I know if my site is being affected by blank ads?
You may notice a decrease in ad revenue or click-through rates, or you may receive complaints from users about blank ads.
Can I prevent blank ads from appearing on my site?
To prevent blank ads, ensure that your ad tags and settings are correct, test your site on different devices and browsers, and work with your ad partners to resolve any issues.
How long does it usually take to fix blank ad issues?
The time it takes to fix blank ad issues can vary depending on the cause of the problem. It may take a few hours or several days to fully resolve the issue.
Why am I seeing blank ads on my website?
Blank ads can be caused by a variety of factors, including ad blockers, slow internet connections, incorrect ad tags or settings, and ad server issues.
What impact do blank ads have on my ad revenue?
Blank ads can have a significant impact on ad revenue, as they prevent ads from being displayed to users and can lead to decreased click-through rates and lower revenue.
Can I fix blank ads on my own, or do I need technical support?
Depending on the cause of the blank ads, you may be able to fix the issue on your own by adjusting ad settings or troubleshooting ad server issues. However, in some cases, you may need to seek MonetizeMore’s support to resolve the issue.
Meet Aleesha Jacob, a seasoned B2B Content and SEO Manager with over 7 years of experience in crafting data-driven content that fuels conversions for SAAS businesses. Having worked with ad tech companies and clients like BMW and Heineken, Aleesha brings a wealth of expertise. With her unmatched skills in creating compelling content, she helps businesses of all sizes drive more leads, increase revenue and grow their online presence.