Ad monetization has been used widely in business including mobile applications. There are also numerous ways that we can add these ads to your mobile app through different networks. Google Admob by far has been the most popular ad network for app businesses. Let’s talk about the latest formats released by Google which are now available for use.
There are four main formats available:
A new format launched this year that enables publishers to seamlessly display their loading or splash screen. Monetization happens once the user opens an app rather than waiting for additional engagement to trigger ad opportunities. The ad will be displayed in the app’s splash or loading screen the same way as interstitial ads would be displayed though it’s slightly different to ensure users are clear that they have entered the intended app.
The ad will show on the top 15 percent of the screen by displaying the publisher branding, and the rest of the bottom 85 percent of the screen will be showing the actual ad itself. This must be placed on top of a loading screen and not before or after it. Otherwise, this will end up as a policy violation. Please refer to the AdMob Help Center link for detailed examples of what you can do.
A case study from eToolKit shows a 50 percent increase in eCPM and a 60% boost in average revenue per user (ARPU) without hurting user experience metrics such as retention. Therefore, we strongly recommend publishers with frequent sessions per day to use App Open ads for a stronger monetization strategy.
Adaptive banners are banners that maximize performance by choosing the optimal creative size and handle device fragmentation by behaving consistently for each device.
You would just have to implement the new adaptive banner API and specify the maximum available width for a banner ad. From there Google’s algorithm will deliver the optimized size that will maximize the performance. Although performance may vary due to multiple factors and is not guaranteed, we generally see a 15 to 20 percent uplift compared to regular banners.
The case study from Athena Studio shows a 50 percent boost in revenue for 1000 impressions and sustained user engagement and retention rates. Therefore we strongly recommend publishers use adaptive banners to upgrade their monetization experience by using adaptive banners and improving the performance it has to offer.
A new format variation in between interstitials and rewarding ads can take your app monetization to the next level if you know how to use it properly. It offers a user reward for watching an ad without requiring them to opt-in. This is the main difference compared to a traditional reward app. One key feature of Reward Interstitial is the introduction screen where you can fully customize the design so that the screen is in harmony with the overall look and feel of the ad or the game.
As a policy requirement, we have a few components that must be entailed within the introduction screen.
Essentially this is a great format to place when users are in need of an item or in help. As an example, users often run out of lives in a three-match game. This timing would be a great moment to offer more lives through reward interstitials.
A case study from Ilyon Games where they saw an 80 percent Average Revenue Per Daily Active User (ARPDAU) boost, 90 percent lift in impressions and 2.5 times increase in rewarded video revenue. Again, the user metrics were stable going off the new format. Therefore start monetizing using the latest rewarded interstitials ad format.
The definition of a Full-Screen Native is when either the ad is bigger than 60 percent of the screen, or if it’s smaller than 60 percent of the screen but shows only the ad itself it will be considered as a Full-Screen Native Ad. (Just think of an interstitial ad render using Native Advanced format with the benefits of customization).
For example, think of a dating app that occasionally shows ads and users can either select left or right to dismiss or watch the ad.
This is a great format for delivering better user experiences as you will be able to customize the look and feel of the ad being shown to the users. Also, Google is currently revamping the format itself and is working on enhancing the overall performance of the Full-Screen Native. Therefore, begin using the Full-Screen Native to really enjoy the boosted performance in eCPMs and fill rates in the future.
Google AdMob is always evolving to provide the best experience for its publishers. With these updated formats, they are making it easier than ever to make the most out of your ad inventory and also let the brands advertising on your site to profit.
What do you think? Will you be upgrading your app monetization strategy in 2022 by adding some of these upgraded format ads? Let us know what type of campaign you’d like help launching!
Here’s the course that 300+ pubs used to scale their ad revenue.