Too many ads are visible on the screen. This hurts user experience and ad performance.
- Google’s policy no longer restricts publishers in terms of a maximum number of ads per page but recommends that there should be as much original content as ads.
- When you have too many ads on page, they tend to negatively impact one another, stealing attention or clicks from one another and they all end up losing.
- Advertiser bids tend to be lower when there are too many ads. Consider this: why would a buyer pay a $5 CPM for an impression above the fold, when there’s another ad below the fold that he can win only at $2.50?
- Less ad slots available could mean tighter competition. Advertisers will put forward their best bids to win.
- Run a report broken down by ad unit. Consider letting go of the least performing ones.