You closed the deal with an ad network for a flat CPM at 100% fill. You’ve implemented the tags on your ad server and earned some ad revenue. Is there anything else to it? If this is all that you’ve done, you’re not maximizing your ad revenue potential, and that’s not a good thing! This post will show you how to maximize your profits by setting up passback URLs with CoffeeCup FTP.
But, first, let’s talk passback chains (briefly!).
Introducing Passback Chains
Passback URLs are implemented in some ad networks that cannot fill 100% of ad requests. These URLs will redirect the unfilled ad requests to another ad network that’s code was used as the passback URL (usually an ad code from another ad network). We will discuss passback chains in detail in our next blog post, so make sure to check back.
Passback chains are necessary in order to monetize as many ad impressions as possible in your ad inventory. Ad Exchange has the best fill rate (impressions served/ad requests) and eCPMs available. But, if you have an opportunity to close a deal with another ad network with 100% fill, we recommend using those tags behind Ad Exchange.
And now, here’s how to set up passback URLs with Coffeecup FTP.
Step 1: Copy Ad Tags
- Open a blank notepad file
- Copy ad tags, one size at a time to that file
- Save as: ‘All Files’
- File Name: <Ad Network Name><Size><.HTML>
Helpful Tip: it is important that every file is saved in the .html format.
Step 2: Create Your CoffeeCup Account
- Set up your CoffeeCup account here: http://www.coffeecup.com/
- Select: ‘Sign In or Up’
- Choose: ‘Create One!’
- Fill in the necessary fields and click “Create My Account”
- Validate your email address.
- Once your account has been validated, choose the ‘Log In Now!’ option.
- Choose ‘My S-Drive.’
Step 3: Choose Your Subdomain Name
This is completely up to you. CoffeeCup will let you know if the URL you have in mind is available or not.
Step 4: Choose Your Theme
Choose the theme that you prefer by clicking on: ‘Apply Theme’
Step 5: Upload Files
- After your S-Drive opens, click: ‘Upload Files’
- Select: ‘Choose Files’
To select multiple files:
- Select ‘Choose Files’ (click on ‘Clear Queue’ if you need to clear certain files)
- Once you have all the .html files ready, choose the ‘Upload Now’ option.
Once the process is complete, you will see a 100% completion status notification. If any known errors are present, this information will be presented as well.
Step 6: View Your Files
This step is simple! All you have to do now is choose the ‘View Files’ option.
Onto the next step…
Step 7: Select URLs
- Click on the wheel icon
- Choose the HTML file that you would like to copy.
- Select: ‘View’
Step 8: Double-Check
Once the new browser tab opens, check to make sure that the ad appears properly.
Step 9: Add As Passback
- Copy the entire URL
- In ‘Ad Tag Settings’ choose ‘Show Other Ads From Another URL.’
- Paste the entire URL in the appropriate box (see sample below).
Step 10: Save and Send!
If you have Ad Exchange access via MonetizeMore, save all the URLs in notepad form. Send those URLs to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your MonetizeMore account executive.
After implementing the passback URLs, MonetizeMore takes care of optimization from start to finish by applying various strategies to maximize your ad revenue potential — that means more money for you! To learn how to optimize your passback strategies, contact us today for more information.