One of the many ways you can maximize the revenue of your site is by targeting an ad on a specific URL with substantial traffic. Serving the right and profitable ad to the right audience can result in better and higher earning potential. There are several ways we can target ads on specific URLs, depending on what publishers use to implement or show ads on the site.
Key-Value Targeting in Google Ad Manager
Key-value targeting is a feature offered by Google Ads Manager that allows you to display tags in pages where you would want it to appear. Below are the steps on how to set up key values and target specific pages in GAM:
- Create a key-value pair
- In Google Ad Manager click on Inventory > Key-values > New Key-value.
- Enter a Name for the key and a Display name
- Select a Value type
Dynamic: Users will enter targeting values when creating line items or checking inventory.
Predefined: Keys and their values are static and don’t change based on the information of a particular user.
- On Report on values, select how the key-value appears in reports
- Go to the Targeting values > New values
- Enter one or multiple values
- Click Save.
- Include key-values in Google Publisher Tags (GPT)
There are two methods in key-value targeting :
Ad Slot level targeting – Allows you to set key values for individual ad slots on your page. After passing the key values, the line items targeted to the KVP below will be eligible to serve on the ad slot.
Page-level targeting – Allows you to set key values across all ad slots on your page.
Below is an example of a script with ad slot-level and page-level targeting:
- Target key-values in line items
Follow the below steps to get started with targeting the specific pages or ad slots of a page in Google Ad Manager
- From the left-hand side menu click on Delivery > Order
- Select the Line item that you want to target.
- Scroll down to the Add targeting section and go to Custom targeting
- Select the Key from the dropdown and enter the values
And/Or feature allows you to create different sets of key-values while “is not” prohibit the ads to appear on a specific area of a web page
- Save the setting once done
Ad Inserter in WordPress
One of the easiest ways to target ads on specific URLs is doing it in WP using the ad inserter plugin.
- Place the ad code on a block.
- Click on LISTS
- Go ahead grab the URL and paste it here in this section
Don’t forget to remove the root domain and add a star at the end of the URL
- Target or Whitelist the ad by ticking the checkbox next to the URL box.
- After that, click SAVE SETTINGS
Both processes we have presented above aim to help publishers achieve their goal – target the right audience and pick the best placement for the ads to display for a better yield and optimal revenue.
For more information on key values and targeting you may check these blog articles below:
Need help optimizing your ad revenue? You may contact our ad revenue experts for a free consultation.