In April of 2014, Google DoubleClick for Small Business launched a Chrome extension that lets you detect which ads were served on your site and why: the Google Publisher Toolbar.
According to Google, this Chrome extension allows you to “View data on your AdSense, Ad Exchange, and DoubleClick for Publishers ads and accounts, and block unsuitable ads on your site.”
This is particularly helpful in DFP utilization, as you can find out quickly why a particular line item or creative was served – and you can block inappropriate ads instantly.
Related Read: How Embarrassing! The Problem of Inappropriate Ads
If you are one of those AdSense publishers who are not yet utilizing this powerful ad optimization tool, here are the major facts about the Google Publisher Toolbar:
- When you’re in Chrome, this extension opens an overview of your account performance even while you are browsing your site. An icon sits at the top of your page to access the functions that will provide an overlay to each of your Google ads
- Offers in-page reporting of your ad units via ad overlays showing instant revenue information, ad sizes, and ad names
- Access other ad details such as current impression, ad slot, buyer, advertiser, agency, and creative associated with that ad unit
- A quick view of earnings summary for today, yesterday, this month, and last month’s period – including the top 5 performing channels or sites
- Ability to block ads by creative, URL, or advertiser
- Instant access to support to help you easily troubleshoot your account or ads
- Provides ‘test click’ ability to check your ads by yourself. This will not count as clicks nor will it be considered click-fraud mechanisms.
Update for 2019: Google Publisher Toolbar has been deprecated and is unreliable to keep using. Download PubGuru Ad Inspector, the best reviewed alternative in the Chrome Store! Download the Chrome Extension today!