Get updated when we publish the latest DFP Tutorial videos. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
Hello! It’s me Megan, and you are now entering more intermediate and advanced levels of DFP in the Learn 2 MonetizeMore video series. In this particular lesson, we’re going to show you how to roadblock. The objective of this lesson is to help you manage creatives in a well-balanced way through roadblocking.
Roadblocking empowers you to block all the ad slots on a webpage and to grant priority to all of those slots to a particular advertiser. An advertiser may want to do this so that if his creative wins an impression on a web page he also wins control over the remaining ad slots and effectively blocks out other advertisers. This is set up from inside the line item settings.
Are you ready to learn this new technique? Allow us to teach you now.
Before we start, please note that roadblocking will not work if it’s just in DFP. Publishers are recommended to use Async and Single Request mode enabled tag for it to work when deploying the DFP tags in their site.
Generally, we recommend using asynchronous rendering with single-request mode enabled. This combination offers the best page load experience and guaranteed roadblocks.
Guaranteed roadblocks are roadblocks where DFP guarantees that multiple creatives will be served together on a page. You can enable guaranteed roadblocks in the Features section of the Admin tab.
1) Click Admin in DFP.
2) Next, choose Features.
3) And finally, turn on the switch for Roadblocks.
Get more information on Doubleclick For Publishers here: https://www.monetizemore.com/dfp
How to set up a line item with master/companion roadblocks
1) Create a new line item inside an order in DFP.
2) Select the sizes you would like to run as roadblocks in the Sizes section.
3) Enter master and companion sizes for creative sets. You’ll add the actual creatives to your creative sets in Step 6. Keep in mind that you can add more than one set of creatives for each group of sizes.
4) Choose how to display companions:
- Optional: Master creatives can be served even if no companion creatives are served alongside them. Where it’s possible to serve companion creatives, DFP will give priority to companion creatives over creatives from other creative sets or line items.
- At least one: A master creative will only be served if at least one companion creative can be served alongside it.
- All: Only complete master/companion creative sets will be served.
5) Optional: Master creatives can be served even if no companion creatives are served alongside them. Where it’s possible to serve companion creatives, DFP will give priority to companion creatives over creatives from other creative sets or line items.
6) Click Save and Upload creative set. If you have multiple creative set size groups, choose one. Upload master and companion creatives, then click Save. You can add existing creatives or upload new ones as you normally would.
- If you choose All and you have 2 sizes identified above in the sizes field, then you have to upload the creatives for both sizes.
- For example, if your master size is 468×60 and your companion sizes are 300×250 and 728×90, you can upload just a 468×60 creative. The creative set can still be delivered, even if you’ve set delivery to All. If you’ve set delivery to At least one, you need at least one companion creative.
To get the latest videos from our Learn2MonetizeMore series, subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Register as our Premium Publisher to get you started on a FREE DFP setup.