This post was most recently updated on December 7th, 2021
Get updated when we publish the latest Ad Manager Tutorial videos. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
Hello! It’s me Megan, and you are now entering more intermediate and advanced levels of DFP in the Learn 2 MonetizeMore video series. In this particular lesson, we’re going to show you how to roadblock. The objective of this lesson is to help you manage creatives in a well-balanced way through roadblocking.
Roadblocking allows you to block all the ad slots on a webpage and to grant priority to all of those slots to a particular advertiser. An advertiser may want to do this so that if his creative wins an impression on a web page he also wins control over the remaining ad slots and effectively blocks out other advertisers. This is set up from inside the line item settings.
Are you ready to learn this new technique? Allow us to teach you now.
Before you start, decide if you want to serve guaranteed or non-guaranteed roadblocks. In most cases, you’ll want guaranteed, which means that Ad Manager guarantees that all creatives in the line item will be served together (if one is not eligible to serve, none will show). Non-guaranteed will show creatives as many as possible from the line item and will give the priority of the other, but does not guarantee they will all be served.
If you want to serve guaranteed roadblocks, make sure that single-request mode is enabled in the tag. We recommend using asynchronous rendering with single-request mode enabled. This combination offers the best page load experience as well as guaranteed roadblocks.
You must activate guaranteed roadblocks in the Features section of the Admin tab before they will work. To do this:
1) Click Admin in Ad Manager.
2) Select ‘Global settings’, and ‘Features’, as shown below.
3) And finally, turn on the switch for Guaranteed roadblocks.
Get more information on Ad Manager here: https://www.monetizemore.com/dfp
How to set up a roadblock line item
1) Create a new line item or edit an existing line item and go to the ‘Adjust delivery’ section in the Settings tab.
2) Choose ‘As many as possible or ‘All’. If you choose ‘All’, this will give you a guaranteed roadblock (but only if you’ve used single-request mode and enabled guaranteed roadblocks, as shown above).
If you use ‘As many as possible’, Ad Manager will prioritize delivery of as many creatives in the line item as possible (to the exclusion of remnant ad networks), but it will still serve other creatives if none from the roadblocking line item is eligible.
How to set up a line item with master/companion roadblocks
1) Create a new line item inside an order in Ad Manager.
2) Select the sizes you would like to run as roadblocks in the Sizes section.
3) Enter master and companion sizes for creative sets. You’ll add the actual creatives to your creative sets in Step 6. Keep in mind that you can add more than one set of creatives for each group of sizes.
4) Choose how to display companions:
5) Optional: Master creatives can be served even if no companion creatives are served alongside them. Where it’s possible to serve companion creatives, Ad Manager will give priority to companion creatives over creatives from other creative sets or line items.
6) Click Save and Upload creative set. If you have multiple creative set size groups, choose one. Upload master and companion creatives, then click Save. You can add existing creatives or upload new ones as you normally would.
To get the latest videos from our Learn2MonetizeMore series, subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Sign up for a Professional account at MonetizeMore today!
Kean Graham is the CEO and founder of MonetizeMore & a pioneer in the Adtech Industry. He is the resident expert in Ad Optimization, covering areas like Adsense Optimization,GAM Management, and third-party ad network partnerships. Kean believes in the supremacy of direct publisher deals and holistic optimization as keys to effective and consistent ad revenue increases.
Here’s the course that 300+ pubs used to scale their ad revenue.
Paid to Publishers
Ad Requests Monthly
10X your ad revenue with our award-winning solutions.Let's Talk