This post was most recently updated on August 19th, 2020
First of all, let’s find out the reason behind unfilled impressions due to high page views per session. There can be a few possible scenarios for a high number of unfilled impressions.
- Increase in session depth resulting in less interest from advertisers with each increase of pageview during a session.
- Less time spent by users on the page during the same session results in lower viewability of ads. Lower viewability always results in lower CPM rates and increases unfilled impressions, which ultimately causes a loss of ad revenue.
- A low unique reach of advertiser campaigns on the website.
- Most direct advertiser campaigns require a frequency cap.
Due to the reasons mentioned above, unfilled impressions can increase due to high page views per session. To increase your website’s ad revenue, we must decrease these unfilled impressions.
Ad optimization techniques to help reduce unfilled impressions
- Find advertisers that only focus on brand awareness campaigns. Brand awareness campaigns do not entirely require unique users. Their primary focus is to show their ad multiple times to users so that users get familiar with their brand. These brand awareness campaigns mostly have fixed CPM rates with unlimited impressions.
- Google Ad Exchange (AdX) unified pricing should be adjusted to increase AdX coverage to fill unfilled impressions.
- Find the session depth where the ads start getting unfilled. It’s challenging to track session depth where ads start getting unfilled, but the simplest way to do it is to use Google Ad Manager key-value pairs. It might require some development work. However, once you get the information, you can set up campaigns for higher sessions depth. Although this process is complicated, unfilled impressions can significantly be reduced following this technique.
- Enable AdSense on Dynamic Allocation aka “backfill”. Partner with MonetizeMore to take advantage of this feature. Without violating Google policies, our technology will enable AdSense to run as a fallback in your ad stack.
- Find a 100% fill ad network that targets a global audience. When you do this, make a price priority line item with a 0.01$ CPM rate and target all the Google Ad Manager ad units in that line item so that this line item can catch all the impressions which receive no bids from any advertisers. AdSense and AdX can also be used as a 100% ad network for this purpose.
With some work and know-how, you can monetize unfilled impressions due to high page views. Do you need help setting this up and making sure that you don’t lose out on any more ad revenue? Let MonetizeMore help take your ad revenue to the next level. Sign up today!